“Be somebody who makes everyone feel like a somebody.”
(too many attributes about who said this, so I’m not sure)
- I believe one of the greatest gifts we can give anyone is to let them know they matter…to make them feel like a somebody.
- For some, there is no joy to be found in living. There has been someone or several someones who have beaten them down and put them in a place of emptiness and no hope. But why? I don’t understand.
- For the most part, people give their best when they are treated with respect and shown they have value. I remember working at K-mart between HS & college. Our main manager in the paint and hardware section was Mr. Bowden. He was a great manager and we worked hard to make the place look good and keep items stocked for him. However, when he was on vacation, the assistant manager took over and he was awful. He micro managed us and we were his underlings and nothing more. We spent more time in the stockroom than on the floor during those times because he usually didn’t come near there and you didn’t want to be in his sites. It never turned out well.
- I think it says a lot that after nearly 30 years, I remember Mr. Bowden’s name, but couldn’t tell you the assistant manager’s name even if you put a gun to my head. I would guess that’s where a lot of my confusion comes into this issue. I’m told that people who are controlling and berate people want power and recognition. But the people we remember are those who show us love and acceptance. Our heroes are those that lift us up and help us find our gifts.
- Who was your favorite teacher? Who do you remember with fondness from your life? What characteristics did they have? How did they make you feel? Who made you feel like a somebody and that you more than mattered?
- The truth is that those who knock us down probably will be remembered, but as an example of how not to treat someone and with negative feelings. The way to be remembered and looked up to is by building up others.
- By making others stronger when you build them up, it makes you stronger and, if you are in a team situation, the team will thrive, meet and probably even exceed your goals when each person’s gifts and abilities are highlighted and used to their full potential.
- I can’t help but wonder what this world would be like if everyone was built up to live out their passions with the gifts they’ve been given. Could the cure to cancer have been discovered? What services and programs could we have available? What new creations could there be? What kind of entrepreneurial companies could there be?
- It really is up to you how you treat others. Even if you have been anything but uplifting, you can also make the choice to change. Be somebody who makes everyone feel like a somebody every single day.
~ Joanna Lynn